The Death and the Grammarian

Act one: Scene one

(*No rigid stage arrangement: enters death in his full regalia with grime, looks grim and grinning...*)

 Death: I'm the erroring in human history, I strike in will. I'm the way every soul must passed , they accuse that I kill whereas I don't. I only grab what I love because I am jealous. I read somewhere that "the reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it, a jealous, possessive love that grabs at what it can". Yes it's true, I'm jealous. ( *he grins*). I've grab Professors, Doctors, Engineers, Pharmacists, Accountants, who else...?

( *Enters briskly a Grammarian, nibbling the tip of his pen as he ruminates... *)

Grammarian: What I've read has made me a grammarian. Just speak and I'll pass grammatical judgements. I know English Grammar. I've degrees in English. I'm very relevant to life, I spot and correct errors in human communication..

(*He sights Death slouching across, he voices his disgust for his dress*)

Grammarian: Hey man, you look repugnant and unkempt, you're an ogre, it doesn't augur well to come across you this morning, you're an error... 

Death : How unlucky you are to have see me!
Grammarian: Oh man, you should rather say " how unlucky you are to have seen me! ". Speak good English man.

Death: Anybody that see me is dead already. I've being doing this for age.. 
Grammarian : That's incorrect in English, say 'whoever sees me is dead already'. And "I've been doing this for ages". Stop making errors in English, please

Death : (*shocked*) You know well that I'm a error, so therefore, I will kill you right away. Nobody see death and leave. 

Grammarian: Oh you're an error, you cannot kill me. I'm a grammarian, I spot and correct errors, therefore you cannot harm me. I've seen you and I'll live. 

Death: (*feels defeated*). I'll kill you, if not now, later, you cannot leave forever, death is never a liar.

Grammarian: (*boastful*) As long as you're an error, you cannot kill me as I will always spot and render you powerless through correction. (*The Grammarian wins!*)

Scene Two:

(*Enters Death, looks rueful and disturbed, he rants...*)
Death : I've never miss a target, it have never happen to me. Who is a Grammarian to stop me? . I'll kill him definitely... (*tilts his head to remember something*) Yes, this is a way!.I'll send my henchman to him,Hunger will do the job perfectly.
(*He calls on Hunger who appears immediately*)

Death: I've a job for you, I want to you to visit the grammarian, no matter how he eat, continue to beat him as though he has never eat, then I will do the needful. Go right away and do your job.

(*Grammarian reclines on his chair in sombre silence, famished and forlorn... nibbling his fingers to keep the mouth busy*.)
Grammarian: Why am I so hungry like this?. My clients are reluctant to pay despite the mammoth of errors I corrected in their texts. They always retort that 'English is not my mother tongue, I'm not Òyìnbó'. That's demeaning, they don't know the status of English in the world. Anyway, I need to do brace myself, I have to eat a sumptuous meal. (*The hunger is so intense that it's affecting the senses of the Grammarian, then enters death as a Gnome *) 
(*The Grammarian has lost his sense of perception, he cannot spot any filth at the moment*) 
Gnome: Hey you, why are you so restless? 
Grammarian : My friend, I am peckish. It's been bad. 
Gnome: What's peckish? 
Grammarian : oh, it means I'm hungry. 
Gnome: oh sorry, I have bread here, take it 

(*The Grammarian collects the bread, it this case, he collects and eats Ekuru from the Gnome * "Ó gbà ekuru jẹ lọ́wọ́ ẹbọra). 

(*Gnome changes to Death, and remarks*), "How terrible is wisdom when it brings no profit to the man that is wise! " 

End note :
1.The fist quote is from Yann Martel's Life of Pi. 
2. The second quote is from Sophocle's Oedipus Rex
3. "Ekuru" is a meal made with crushed beans. 
4. The death speaks mangled English because he has never received formal education.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Library

My Review of Chinweizu Ibekwe's Anatomy of Female Power, published in 1990.

OVERSEER J.O Ọ̀JẸ̀LẸ́YẸ: OUR PARAGON OF EXCELLENCE