Stop Using Earphones. It Happened Nowhere

Part 1

After she had carefully examined my eardrums with one of the numerous but unknown medical instruments on her table, she remarked 'Taiwo, there's nothing wrong with your eardrums'. She checked them again and gave same remark that there was even no dirty particle in them that could be causing me the problem I had complained to her. I was shocked because the previous days had been tormenting. I had been very uncomfortable with my ears. I could not stand near any noise. It wasn't deafness. It was just that my eardrums were vibrating as if some beats were being played to it from the unknown. I freely told her I had been using earphones constantly for a long time to induce concentration. She exclaimed "stop using Earphones, it's bad for your ears. It causes partial deafness". I wasn't shocked by her exclamation because I had read leaflets about it and my phone, the main culprit, used to display warnings about playing music on high volumes. I thanked this beautiful doctor who appeared to me a newlywed (the ring on her finger was very new) and I left her office. This was in 2017. This story happened in Jaja Clinic, UI.

Part 2

I always follow advice, most especially medical advice. But as of today, I still use earphones. I quite find it a worthy companion in my quest for concentration. And today, an hour ago when darkness still hovered on the earth, it proved itself as a worthy companion. There were some men I was approaching some metres away. They ducked over some objects which my concentration didn't allow me to check. It appeared they were buried in an intimate activity. But I walked past them humming to the sound being released into my ears from my earphones. I haven't walked some metres away before some students who were coming behind me ran past me with a blistering pace. Their pace broke my concentration and I instantly ran with them asking from behind what was chasing them. They eventually stopped and asked me if I didn't hear the men over there reciting some incantations. "Incantation?" I exclaimed. I told them I was using earphones and I didn't hear such. They exclaimed like the doctor and I did. As we were talking in confusion, the unexpected happened. They started rubbing their skins vigorously and it started developing rashes. It was now obvious that they have just been affected by the incantation they just heard. Well, I didn't hear it and I wasn't affected. All thanks to my worthy companion. This story, it happened nowhere.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Library

My Review of Chinweizu Ibekwe's Anatomy of Female Power, published in 1990.

OVERSEER J.O Ọ̀JẸ̀LẸ́YẸ: OUR PARAGON OF EXCELLENCE