Reading Habits


“To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from almost all the miseries of life.” — W. Somerset Maugham

Recently, I came across a link that led me to tips to develop great reading habits. I read the tips and I was deeply impressed with what the author outlined. I made some notes and I think it's appropriate to share it with you. 

To cultivate a reading habit, do the following:

1. Set times. To start with, you have to set a specific time for reading, and you must be disciplined enough to stick to it. Lena Dunham said “Let’s be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading.” For me, I have set aside the hours between 4AM and 8PM on Saturday and Sunday. 

2. Make a list. That is you have to keep a list of all the great books you want to read. I have made my list already and I keep adding to it anytime I read reviews of the books I am yet to read. After all, “you can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.” – C.S. Lewis

3. Keep a log. This log should have not only the title and author of the books you read, but the dates you start and finish them if possible. Even better, put a note next to each with your thoughts about the book. It is extremely satisfying to go back over the log after a couple of months to see all the great books you’ve read. For this, I have decided to be writing review for each book I've read. Therefore, I will be posting my reviews on this blog for comments from readers. 
 
4. Reduce television/Internet. If you really want to read more, try cutting back on TV or Internet consumption. "So please, oh please, we beg, we pray, go throw your TV set away, and in its place you can install a lovely bookshelf on the wall." – Roald Dahl For me, the internet, particularly the social media will be seeing less of me on the specific days I've set aside for reading. I strongly believe whatever I will miss will be graciously rewarded by the insights I will get from the book I am reading. As Descartes rightly said “the reading of all good books is like conversation with the finest (people) of the past centuries.”

5. Blog it. One of the best ways to form a habit is to put it on your blog. If you don’t have one, create one. It’s free. Have your family go there and give you book suggestions and comment on the ones you’re reading. It keeps you accountable for your goals. In all honesty, I created this blog in response to this. 

6. Set a high goal. Tell yourself that you want to read 50 books this year (or some other number like that). Then set about trying to accomplish it. Just be sure you’re still enjoying the reading though — don’t make it a rushed chore. For me, I will be reading 6 books every month, 72 books in a year. 

7. Have a reading hour or reading day. If you turn off the TV or Internet in the evening, you could have a set hour (perhaps just after dinner) when you and maybe all the members of your family read each night. Or you could do a reading day, when you (and again, your other family members if you can get them to join you) read for practically the whole day. It’s super fun. I prefer having reading days because it saves me from reading a particular book for many days.

8. Read Critical Works. Reading critics' verdicts on the book will further elucidate and expand the book. It will also help to have substantial appreciation of its strengths and weaknesses. Google can help you to get critical and/or scholarly work on a book. 

Interestingly, these tips have been of immense help to me since I have heeded to them. I believe you will get the same help too if you can heed it. Cheers to your excellence! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Library

My Review of Chinweizu Ibekwe's Anatomy of Female Power, published in 1990.

OVERSEER J.O Ọ̀JẸ̀LẸ́YẸ: OUR PARAGON OF EXCELLENCE