HELP! somebody should Save me from the Tentacles of English

It's high time I confessed to the world that English has launched many onslaughts on my Yoruba life. And if utmost caution is not exercised, my Yorùbá indentity could only be seen in my name.

I called my granny yesterday after a long time to ask after her and to know how the just concluded election in Osun state was in her place. It was first a cheerful conversation but I noticed something was wrong with me. During the conversation, alas, I could not make a complete sentence in Yorùbá without mixing it with English. The 12- minute conversation was fraught with rough translations, repetitions and gaps. I was helplessly fumbling for Yoruba words to use. I had to rack (not, crack) my brains to say ' Wednesday, vote, election, party, won, and don't worry' in meaningful Yorùbá.

Somebody should save me from English. In my greeting, handshake has replaced prostration. In my dressing, I only wear my native dress on Friday and Saturday while English dress takes the other days. In my diet, Ẹba, Àmàlà, Ewedu, Gbegiri, Àkàrà, Ekuru and Aadun are languishing at the bottom of my menu. In my reading, books are all written in English. What about my Bible? I should not tell you that I rarely use the Yorùbá tone marks in my composition whereas I know all English punctuation marks by heart. I'm so smart to spot and correct errors in English whereas I shrug off errors in Yorùbá.

It is very pathetic. I must quickly remedy this repugnant situations. I will not allow it to boil over irredeemably. Festive period is just weeks away, I will go home and I must speak pure Yoruba. I must dedicate the remaining months of the year to Yorùbá.

PS I am sorry I write this piece in English. But this is my confession, confess yours too and let take practical steps to save Yorùbá from being pulverised by this cancerous English. I am ready!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Library

My Review of Chinweizu Ibekwe's Anatomy of Female Power, published in 1990.

OVERSEER J.O Ọ̀JẸ̀LẸ́YẸ: OUR PARAGON OF EXCELLENCE